Here’s to health, happiness, and unleashing that inner most badass, super strong and confident self in 2016!
Now I don’t know about you, but when I see a woman with a strong,sexy, and beautiful back, I’m like dayyyyum. That is why I wanted to share 6 of MY favorite back exercises with you!
Here are JBrauzFit’s 6 Favorite Back Exercises:
- Chinups/Pullups: These are by far my favorite. Not only is this a killer compound exercise (it incorporates back, shoulders, abs and arms!), but think of how empowering it feels to get that chin over the bar? If pullups or chinups are a goal of yours for 2016, remember practice, practice, practice. Can’t do a chinup just yet? Don’t fret! I would certainly start by nailing down inverted rows and seated rows first..and then slowly work up to it! Use a box to help assist you or a body band…I prefer these —> Body Bands
2. Inverted Rows: These are definitely rated high on my fave back exercises, AND are a great way to strengthen the back in order to accomplish that first chinup! You can do these with TRX straps, a barbell, or even a tree branch outside! Start by holding onto the straps, arms fully extended, with palms facing one another or in a supinated position (palms facing upward). You will then in a controlled manner start to pull your chest toward the handles while exhaling your breath. Make sure to brace your core and glutes while doing so. You want your body to travel to the straps as one unit. Keep your arms in close to your sides like you don’t want someone to tickle you! On your way back to the starting position you will inhale.
3. Deadlifts: Mmmmm this exercise is just a killer full body exercise and I absolutely LOVE them! I especially love how it strengthens the upper/lower back AND booty for sure. Remember when doing the conventional deadlift to drop the butt down ( I know, I’m still working on this myself!), keep the arms long, brace the core, and root your feet into the ground.
4. Single Arm Row (or One Arm Dumbbell Row): This is a great unilateral exercise that you can use a DB, Kettlebell, or weight plate with. Just remember even though this may SEEM like an easy exercise, many people tend to butcher it. You will want to start on the lighter side with your weight first in order to master this exercise and then work your way up. This is a great exercise for strengthening the lats (latissimus dorsi), mid and lower traps and definitely the core!
5. T-Bar Row: This is one of my favvvvvs for working those mid traps! You also work the lats, posterior deltoids, and the lower back as well. While many gyms will have different setups, the one that I am mostly talking about is where you set up the most appropriate weight that you can lift on the bar first, then you will step onto the foot pads, bending your knees, keeping that chest open, overhand grip on the bar handles, and then row the bar up and toward the chest while letting out a good exhale. Once you pull the bar into the chest, hold it there for a second while squeezing your back muscles. Then in a controlled manner slowly lower the bar back down to arms fully extended, while inhaling.
6. Seated Cable Row: For this exercise you will use a low pulley cable machine. Typically I prefer the V-handle bar, but you can use other bars or handles as well. You will sit upright on the bench with good posture and chest open, knees are slightly bent, arms will be fully extended to start. You will then exhale your breath as you pull the V handle towards the chest. Inhale your breath as you fully extend your arms back to the starting position.
Alright there ya have it! My top 6 favorite back exercises that I like to do at the gym! Now show everyone who’s back is BOSS.
Working dat back like whoa,